December 9, 2013

The Sound of Silence


  

 Silence fills the night
      Like the piercing squeal of a child’s delight,
Or the lilting notes of a lullaby.
A silence so voluptuous and rich
Like the glossy sheen of ebony ink,
A plush feather dancing across the page
As a silent orchestra plays –
Or the noiseless Pandemonium
Where a speechless Satan reigns.

More silent still, like the voiceless hills
  That drown the river’s unheard roar
In mute mockery.
  Can you hear it? The breathless whisper
  That amplifies to my unheeding ears
 A deafening cacophony?

I cannot fathom
The flapping of a butterfly’s wings
In vain pursuit of the choicest flower,
A cobra’s hiss as it wields the power
To blot out life forever.
But you, who have heard the autumn leaves
Change colour and crumple
To death’s cold touch, cannot
The silence see.

I can; I have watched it creep noiselessly
To my brick-red balcony and knock
On my window pane, waiting to be let in.
I have felt silence close in stealthily
As I averted my eyes from an unknown world
Whose music is lost on me.

The storm clouds groan with the weight of rain
Too distant to be heard.
The stars twinkle in soft sympathy,
Glaring at the moon who beams
 With the raucous laughter of wordless mischief.
Silence is the night.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice one.. last part awssmm..!!

Samrudhi said...

*applauds* That is some really good stuff, Y. :)

Ananya Calling! said...

wow.. this is good!!! :D well done woman!

Anonymous said...

Giving me goosebumps!!
^claps^

neeti chopra said...

This is really good stuff

Swarniv Chandra said...

This piece is well illustrated with words. keep up.