June 6, 2008

That Night (Contd.)


Part II

It was an extraordinarily quiet night. Usually, I could hear the summer breeze whispering through the tall trees in the lane outside.
That night, however, it seemed as though nature too had fallen asleep. No hooting owls, no rat scurrying noisily across the garden outside, no neighborhood dog barking at a daring mouse out for a moonlit walk. The silence was all consuming—it felt as though some supernatural power had switched the world to “mute”.
I put down the Agatha Christie mystery I had been reading and looked up at the wall clock. It was half past midnight. I threw the book lazily across the room, watching it land on the mounting heap of books which I had borrowed from the local library but was yet to return.
I rose from bed and made my way to the window. The curtains were drawn apart and the inky blue night seemed to beckon from beyond. The silver Moon reigned over the heavens, her pale glow illuminating a cluster of houses not far from ours. My friends were somewhere out there, having a party, while I was made to stay at home like some pathetic five-year old.
I bit my lip to fight away the tentacles of envy that seemed to be groping their way into my mind. Not bothering to pull back the curtains, I switched off the night lamp and dropped down on the bed.In the sky, a floating cloud stole towards the moon and minutes later, the night drowned in darkness.
To be Continued...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice. Story seems to be more visual than interactive.

Gopinath said...

Interesting! Waiting for the next part...