June 3, 2008

That Night.


The following is based on a real incident that happened to a young girl not very long ago. Armed with a fascinating story to share, she decided to speak about it to fellow members of a popular website. I was captivated by the sheer extraordinariness of the incident, which turned out to be the sole inspiration for my next story,which I wil post in four parts:

PART - I

“See you later, Alligator!” croaked five voices as I went in through the little metal gate that set up a barrier between the dark lane and the front yard of my Grandma’s home.
“In a little while, Crocodiles!” I yelled back in reply.
In our usual goofy manner, the neighbourhood kids and I bade our farewell to each other as we parted for the night after a fun day comprising of volleyball, swimming and crisp fish fries at the beach.
My parents and I always flew down to Florida to spend our vacations with Grandma. This summer was no different. Considering I had been there every vacation for the past fourteen years, it was of little surprise that I shared a close friendship with most of the kids in the locality.

It was around quarter to ten in the night—not very unusual for kids to be out till then where my Grandma lived. However, my mother did not quite approve of some of the local kids, which explains why I had to go home even when all the rest were staying over at a friend’s house two stone’s throws away!
As I walked in through the front door (which was kept open till ten for my benefit), Grandma, who was sharing a large jug of hot cocoa with Mother, looked up and said, “There you are, young lady! How was your day?”
“Great! Of course, would’ve been better if I could stay over at Sally’s place” I answered, stealing a glance towards Mother.
“You want a cuppa?” she asked, waving her hand towards the cocoa drink.
“Thanks, but no thanks. I think I’ll call it a day” and I went up to the couch to hug them good night.

Little did I know that this was the night that would haunt me for years to come.


To be continued...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A very interesting Beginning! Let me guess......a horrifying experience to follow?

Anonymous said...

maaaan ur genius ...... ur items and articles r the best .. even better than James Patterson himself .. no like its full of excellent English and wonderful ideas and lovely exotic language .... in 4 words u r the best !!! waiting for all our new posts eagerly ~~Anky (kasir)