June 8, 2008

That Night (Continued)



Part - III

Seconds later, or so it seemed, I had the distinct feeling of being poked in the eyes with red hot ambers. I sat up on bed with a startle and looked around wildly, scanning the room for the sleep-depraving source of light. As the object in question gradually zoomed into focus, I stared.
A few feet from where I lay was the face of a stranger, looking in through the window.
My first thought was that my friends,those idiots,were playing some stupid joke on me.Squinting in the harsh light, however, a mere glance at the face ruled out the sweet possibility of my friends sneaking up to the house in the middle of the night,hoping to "scare the living daylights out of me".
It was the face of a man, the collars of his coat turned up to hide all but his steely, grey eyes, his raised hand gripping an electric torch that had jerked me from the gentle arms of sleep. The fine lines around his hard eyes was proof enough that he was much, much older than Jack, Davis or any of the other local kids I knew.
Here was a man at my window, his cold grey eyes boring into mine.
Pathetically unoriginal as it may sound, a cold shudder slithered down my spine. It felt as if someone had emptied a tray full of ice inside the back of my shirt. At that moment, the rest of the world seemed to heat up and evaporate; all I could remember was a pair of impassive, grey eyes commanding my gaze, penetrating my mind, uncoiling my deepest fears.
I hope that is justification enough for my next course of action.
“AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I could almost feel the warm air rushing out of the lungs and my vocal cords vibrating at break-neck speed. And with that, I lunged at the door and scooted out into the dark corridor as fast as my feet would go, preparing to crash into my parents room.

To be Continued...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh. The twist. Here it comes.

Hemanth Potluri said...

lol....its cool..wating for the continution..